Friday, January 25, 2013

Fashion Installation by Nuri Dimitrova

Tonight I had the pleasure of going to a very interesting fashion event by designer Nuri Dimitrova and Elena Filipcheva as the project's curator. Not really a fashion show but more of a fashion installation, the evening involved beautiful special occasiom dresses, gorgeously artsy hats and headpieces, and models posed like statues from a different time, coming down their pedestals from time to time to mingle with the decidedly modern crowd. The venue was appropriate; the ornate architectural details of the National Gallery of Art and big ornamental mirrors were the perfect backdrop for this surreal fairy tale. Nature sounds like birds chirping or waves crashing on the shore were the soundtrack of this show, bringing the crowd into something of an enchanted forest or fairy mansion. Had the lighting been lower, we would have been part of Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream. Of course, I'm sure everyone would have taken out their smartphone and ordered a cab or turned on their flashlight app to navigate their way out of the dark forest, so our fairy tale's audience was trendy, current and yielding high-tech gadgets.


I have to say I liked the white dresses a lot; I enjoy beautiful relief ornamentation when it comes to wedding gowns. You can look at some of the details I photographed below. I was quite bummed that I didn't have my camera with me, and I has to settle for trying to squeeze OK looking photos out of my cell phone. I also particularly enjoyed the hats. Those were completely dazzling and decadently lavish. I would love to wear one for some occasion, even if it is a costume ball.






No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails